Category Archives: Community

HTC Wins Two Best of Cville 2013 Awards

HTC Best of C-Ville 2013 Awards
Thanks to the Charlottesville community for the Best Martial Arts Studio and Best Martial Arts Instructor Awards! Photo: John Robinson

Hiromi T’ai Chi is very proud and honored to have won two “Best of Cville 2013” awards – Best Martial Arts Instructor and Best Martial Arts Studio!

We would like to express our thanks to the Charlottesville community and The C-Ville Weekly for this honor.

>> View more about Best Martial Arts Instructor: Hiromi Johnson

>> View more about Best Martial Arts Studio: Hiromi T’ai Chi

Respect The Elderly Week Sept 9 – 15

Respect The Elderly Week 2013 FlyerHiromi T’ai Chi is excited to announce Respect The Elderly Week, a time of appreciation and honor for our senior citizens. Please see the letter from Hiromi Johnson below for more information.

>> Download the PDF Letter

>> Download the PDF Schedule

Dear Sir or Madame,

My name is Hiromi Johnson. I am a founder and director of Hiromi T’ai Chi, a non-profit educational organization teaching the art and health benefits of T’ai Chi in Charlottesville community.

I am originally from Tokyo, Japan. My husband and I moved to Charlottesville 15 years ago. In Japan, we celebrate “Respect the Elderly” on the third Monday in September. It is a holiday to honor the elderly citizens. The origin of this national holiday traces back to September 15, 1947.

I would like to bring this tradition to honor the senior citizens. Hiromi T’ai Chi will hold the “Respect the Elderly” Week from September 9 (Mon) to 15 (Sun). Our instructors and I would like to visit centers and organizations to give a 30 – 45 minute T’ai Chi presentation for free on a first come, first served basis. Please choose your preferred date and time from the attached schedule chart.

T’ai Chi is proven to prevent falls in elderly and people in wheelchairs can practice, too.

I have been working with Mary Williams Senior Center and they put up a video of our class on Youtube. Please check it out below.

I am excited to share the benefit of T’ai Chi with seniors. If you are interested in this program, please contact us at hiromi@hiromitaichi.org.

I look forward to sharing this wonderful exercise with your community.

Sincerely,

Hiromi Johnson

Founder & Director

Hiromi T’ai Chi

Mindful Eating Seminar at HTC

Join Caverly Morgan, the founder and director of the Portland, OR based nonprofit, One House of Peace, for a mindful eating seminar on May 12.

This workshop will be an opportunity to delve into the nuances of bringing consciousness to what we eat and how we eat it. Through guided imagery, mindful eating exercises, journaling and group discussion, we will reveal the conditioned habits we’ve created around food and open ourselves to a practice that allows eating to become a nourishing and joyous event.

Join us as we create a relationship with food based on presence, compassion and consciousness. This workshop is an invitation to transform how you relate to food through bringing Awareness Practice with you to the table every time you sit down to eat.

>> Click to download the flyer.

Date: Sunday, May 12th, 2013
Time: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Where: Hiromi T’ai Chi
#110 Michie Bldg, 609 E. Market St.
Register at: onehouseofpeace.org/events/the-joy-of-mindful-eating-3/
Cost: Sliding Scale: $50 – $75

Hiromi To Speak at Tandem School Lecture Series

Hiromi Sensei Speaks at Tandem Lecture Series May 1Hiromi will speak at the Tandem Friends School lecture series on “Exploring Contemplative Practices in Teaching and Learning”. Come hear Hiromi speak about “T’ai Chi: Health and Healing From Within”.

Date: Wed, May 1, 2013
Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Place: The Tandem Friends School
Address: 279 Tandem Lane, Charlottesville, VA 22902
Room: The Blue Room in the Main Building
Click here for a Google Map

2013 World Tai Chi Day

World Tai Chi DayCome celebrate World T’ai Chi Day with us in Lee Park (next to the Cville Downtown Public Library) on Saturday, April 27!

Every year on the last Saturday in April, thousands of people practice T’ai Chi and Ch’i Kung at 10am in their countries. Find out more about World T’ai Chi Day here…

Join us for an informal demonstration, as well as a chance to try this ancient healing martial art yourself.

Saturday, April 27
10:00 am
Lee Park (on Market Street, West of the Downtown Public Library)

Hiromi Receiving WTCD ProclamationHiromi Sensei receives the World T’ai Chi Day Proclamation from Charlottesville Mayor Satyendra Huja at the City Council meeting on April 15, 2013.

Charlottesville World Tai Chi Day Proclamation
Charlottesville World T'ai Chi Day Proclamation

Fall Benefit for Children’s Enrichment

The Fall Benefit for Children’s Enrichment program was held on Friday, October 14. Many thanks to the Charlottesville community for their generous contribution! Three children received a scholarship award for one year T’ai Chi class at the dojo.

Children who have taken classes at the dojo demonstrated some of the forms they have learned. Scholarship recipients and donors were able to meet and talk to get to know one another. Special thank you to Mrs. Tussi Kluge for offering her beautiful home for this benefit. Details will be in our November newsletter.

You can still be part of this special combination:

One generous donor + One eager child = One year of valuable T’ai Chi instruction

If you would like to help financially challenged children who are interested in taking a one year class at HTC dojo, please contact registrar@hiromitaichi.org.

Japan Relief Effort

Many thanks for the generous support of the Japan Relief Effort. We raised $3,791.04 for the 1st benefit in April and received thank you notes from the Consulate General of Japan.

The 2nd benefit raised $2,444 for Ookuma-town in Fukushima and was sent on July 25. Residents in Ookuma-town moved to 6 shelters and now they are going to start a new life in Aizu-Wakamatsu city. Our donation of $2,444 will help 3 families to move to a new home.

Thank you notes from the Consulate General of Japan and Mayor of Ookuma-town are up on our bulletin board in the dojo.